Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Who are the people in my neighborhood?

I've lived in the City for 12 years. Some of the fondest memories I have of the neighborhoods I've lived in stem from the people I see every day. Bodega man. Deli guy. Butcher. Newspaperman. I figure it's about time I document these people. As history has proved, our relationships are often ephemeral.

Meet Anthony. He owns a deli: Anthony and Son, Fruit and Deli; it's located on the corner of Frost and Graham Ave.
Anthony says that 20 years ago if you didn't speak Italian in this neighborhood, you couldn't even buy food on this street. He and his son, Anthony, hold down the fort--every day. They're good people. Anthony says funny things, like the time he asked the guy who ordered a bagel with peanut butter and butter "peanut butter and butter, what the fuck is wrong with you?"

I overheard these gentlemen noting, possibly loathing, the changes in the neighborhood.

At Anthony's, you can get great soprosetta. How about some gnocchi and homemade vodka sauce? They're all favorites of our house.
If our PC hadn't crashed, I'd have pictures of their backyard (with a nice fountain) and kitchen. Hopefully we can update this post soon once we recover our hard drive.

No comments: