Thursday, October 16, 2008

This is a public service announcement

Gentle reader (all 9 of you), I am writing you to let you know that the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) has changed their logo yesterday afternoon. I've yet to see any reporting on this but can only assume there will be a press conference to formally announce it shortly.

It should be noted that they will eventually get around to updating their new fangled forms with this new logo. When they do, it will render all forms prepared prior to the forms with the new logo on them null and void, even though the substance of the form itself remains unchanged; at least historically that's how it's gone down.


This got me to thinking about two things: first I thought about how this design reminded me of the 1972 Vignelli map of the subway system. I thought the fonts might be similar, but I was totally wrong. I guess it's just those 45/135 degree angles.

The second came to me researching the map thing. NYCSubway.org has a great site with tons of historical maps. It made me think I need to chronicle the grapic history of DOB logos. I've seen 3 in the last 8 years. The one before that was a box with some representation of the skyline. Lord only knows what came before that, but with a little encouragement--my friend--I promise to deliver to you the most comprehensive history of DOB logos, ever.

Below: the most recently superseded logo.



Above image of the '72 Vignelli map stolen from NYCSubway.org They have a great site with tons of historical transit maps!

If I ever get all the monies, I'm going to start collecting maps, by the way.

2 comments:

robert manheim said...

was that new logo designed by Robert Scarano

Evan Bray said...

Probably not, but we'll find out during the press conference. I'll bet they introduce it with a snazzy acronym (Special Logo Administration Creation And Review Subcommittee). SLACARS anyone?